Thursday, 11 April 2013

Review: Mac Lipstick in Ruby Woo (With Swatches and Russian Red Comparison)

Ruby Woo
It's no secret that I love red lipstick. I just love the touch of glamour it gives, and the boost of confidence I get when I wear it is unreal. For about a year now, I've been ever faithful to MAC's Russian Red, but I've been running out for a while now, so when my boyfriend bought me a House Of Fraser Voucher as part of my Christmas present so that I could buy myself a new lipstick, I decided to go for a new shade. 
Admittedly, Ruby Woo and Russian Red are fairly similar colours, but I actually think I prefer Ruby Woo.

ruby woo
It has a really matte finish, MAC call it a "retro matte" and this sums it up rather well because this texture is perfect for achieving a vintage inspired look. The classic bright red makes me think of old Hollywood, it's just such a gorgeous colour and so highly pigmented!

As far as staying power goes, this is probably one of the best out of all my MAC lipsticks. Because it is so matte, it lasts really well on the lips, but obviously some people may find it a little drying due to this texture. The thick, matte texture can also be hard to apply at first, but I think it's worth it just for the finish and the stating power! Also it does tend to bleed on application, but this can be prevented easily by using a lip liner first (I use this Rimmel one in the shade Red Diva). 

This is what it looks like swatched on my hand, alongside Russian Red. 
russian red v ruby woo

As you can see, they are both slightly blue-toned, but Russian Red is just that little bit more so. Also, although they both have a matte finish, Ruby Woo is clearly much more matte. In my opinion, Ruby Woo has a nicer end result, but that being said, Russian Red is much easier to apply and still looks lovely on the lips. So really, it's all down to personal preference.


I hope that this review was helpful, and please let me know if you have any questions at all! 

Much Love,

Jodi Pops

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I love wearing red lipstick too, but it's so hard to find a good one that stays! I hate it when it rubs off in the middle and you're left with an unattractive line around your outter lip! At the moment I'm using maybelline 24 hour stay, it doesn't quite do what it says on the tin but it lasts really well.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I know what you mean about the line around your lips, some of my darker lipsticks do that and it drives me mad!
      Oooh I will check out the maybelline one! xxx

      Delete
  2. Red lipstick suits you so much. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Dina! I feel naked without it haha! xxx

      Delete
  3. I bought Ruby Woo impulsively and I really like it but this matte finish is killing me... had I done my research I would've bought Russian Red, though

    ReplyDelete